}); SavannaBrooke.com: The Nursery

9.4.15

The Nursery

Anyone who has gotten out of or knows someone who has gotten out of the military probably knows how difficult it is. We moved from California to Missouri with no where to live, no jobs, just a storage unit for all of our furniture. My wonderful parents were gracious enough to take us in. I was 8 months pregnant and very emotional. It wasn't my proudest moment haha! With my passion for interior design I always dreamed I would decorate my childs nursery and organize all of his little clothes in his closet, my husband would set up his crib and dresser... Well moving across the country at 8 months pregnant doesn't really allow for all of that. After I found out I was pregnant I decorated our guest bedroom on base with all of the things I had collected for our future child. I just couldn't help myself! it looked a little something like this...
I made a lot of the stuff for this room. I don't like spending a lot on décor. I usually try to fix stuff up or make it myself. I made his mobile by tying ribbon all around a twig wreath and attaching small squares of scrap book paper to the ends. The ball in the middle came off of a lamp I had but the base broke so I just tied it in the middle of the wreath.
The table was a friends and she was moving so she gave it to me. It was silver with a glass top but I wasn't feeling it so I spray painted it gold and made a new top out of wood we had laying around the garage. I painted the top white and set it on top. Viola! Table for the nursery...
I made the "DAD" sign for my husband for fathers day. I just stained a wood plaque I found at Michaels and painted the quote on it. The two frames with animals in them were frames from target. I covered the picture that was originally in it with some scrap fabric I had and traced some animal silhouettes I found online, cut them out and spray painted them gold. I just added them to the middle of the frames and there you go! Art! if that's what you want to call it.... Next I found some fabric rings (is that what you call them?) and put some lace I had left over from another project and hung them on the wall. When we moved I replaced the lace with burlap... it seemed more masculine. The old window I found for ten dollars at a thrift store and the dresser and baskets I already had. My parents had two rooms they weren't using so they gave us a nursery and our own room. I was so excited I had a nursery to decorate!! So here it is after some paint and help from my hubs...
 This beautiful crib was originally my cousins and then it was passed down to me and now I am so excited to pass it down to my babies...

 That elk head on the wall is one of my favorite things.. I wanted one so bad for the nursery but I never could find one reasonably priced. I saw this one at TjMaxx for thirty dollars and I told myself if I came back in a week and saw it I would get it. Well I went back and couldn't find it. I looked all over the store and spotted it in the clearance section!!! I ran over and picked it up and his poor antler was broken but it was marked down to fifteen! You cant really tell its broken unless you look real close so I bought it. Originally it was a tan color and I spray painted the antlers gold and the face an off white. I stuck a frame around him and there he is!
 I also made those hooks. I found two fence posts and stuck them together using glue and a staple gun. I'm impatient and that was all I had but it worked! I screwed some hooks into it and now we have a place to hang his little jackets and hats...

Excuse the poor quality pictures I'm working on it :)
Have a wonderful day!!
-xo Savanna